Recorded in the GEAR:30 lounge, this episode includes an exclusive interview with Ogden resident, snowboarder and editor of #RideLocalFirst the film, and PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) through-hiker, Bryden Bowley. We covered all the things that can kill you on the PCT, a rough number two incident involving red ants, his best piece of gear so far on the over 1,000 miles hiked, and the one piece of gear he ditched early on.
Ever curious about through-hiker nutrition? Bryden filled us in on his diet, which isn't that great.
We're hoping to catch up with Bryden each remaining month of his trek from Mexico to Canada. His insight and humor are fantastic!
The local McDonald's in Bernie, California, provided free WIFI for Bryden during this FaceTime, and it wasn't the best connection, so gaps of silence have been edited.
Here's the list we read to Bryden during the interview: 17 Things Scarier than Bears on the Pacific Crest Trail.
ON THE DOCKET
- July 7 - Antelope by Moonlight Bike Ride - Antelope Island
- July 8 - Watercolor Travel Posters with Liesl Cannon
- July 8 - Weber Outdoor Program Summer Summit Series - Ben Lomond
- July 8 - Mt. Ogden Park ‘Gathering’ - AcroYoga, Slackline, Cards Against Humanity
- July 9 - Ogden Outdoors Group Great Ben Lomond Hike 7am-5pm
- July 9 - Weber Outdoor Program Summer SUP Adventures, Causey Reservoir $30/$45 Day
- July 19 - GEAR:30 SUP Meet-up, Windsurfer Beach
- July 22 - Self-Rescue Clinic with Bear House Mountain Guiding - $150
- July 30 - Ladies Day at Causey Reservoir, Hosted by SheShreads.co
- August 5 - Weber Outdoor Program Summer Summit Series - Mt. Ogden
- August 11-13 - Camelback Pursuit Series SLC - SNOWBASIN
- August 12 - Snowbasin Intermountain Cup X-Country MTB Race
- August 12 - 4th Annual Snowbird Oktoberfest Beard & Moustache Competition
- August 19 - El Doce 12 Hour/6 Hour MTB Race at Powder Mountain
- August 25-27 - Salt Lake Climbing Festival
IN THE NEWS
- Outdoor Retailer Chooses Denver
- 2017 Western States Runner Survey
WORTH READING | The man who went on a hike - and never stopped walking
OUTDOOR JUKEBOX | “Culdesac Sadness” - Paper Lights
As John Muir would say, “The Mountains are calling and we must go…”