Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 210 - Artisanal Firewood
INTERVIEW: Andrea Westerlind - Westerlind Outdoors
Last week on Mr. Goodyear's Neighborhood, we spent an evening at North Fork Table & Tavern, where we interviewed the executive chef, Jeffery Sanich, along with Pete Rasmussen from Sandhill Farms, and owner of Westerlind Outdoors, Andrea Westerlind. Andrea has a handle on the outdoor gear retail market in New York with a couple of shops in downtown Manhattan called ‘Westerlind.’ She owns and operates the stores in addition to providing marketing help for small outdoor companies trying to introduce their products to the world. Fate brought her to Ogden Valley where she’s opened her latest Westerlind shop next to the Table & Tavern. It’s a shop with a vintage European flavor, Andrea is Sweedish, but she’s also sourced products locally. Her shop is like a crosshatch of Ogden Valley, Birkenstocks and all. Adrea is bringing her brand of tech and fashion to Utah.
ON THE DOCKET
- Sept 8-12 USA Cycling National Championship
- Sept 9 – Wasatch Beer Mile
- Sept 11-12 – Wasatch Front 100 Mile – 100 miles of Heaven & Hell
- Sept 14 – SLC Premier of TGR’s Paradise Waits
- Sept 19 – Cotopaxi 5K & 10K – at Alta
- Sept. 20 – Ogden Cyclocross Ogden CX Park Opening Celebration
- Sept 26 – Friends of Kings Peak Trash Haul
- Sept 30 – Trail Running Film Fest Tour
- Oct 3 – Snowbasin Beer Fest
- Oct 4 – Snowbasin Pray For Snow Party!
- Oct. 9 – 12th Annual Gear Sale & Swap
- Oct. 10 – WSU Mt. Ogden Hike Tradition
- Oct. 17 – Black Diamond Ski Swap / Sale
- Oct. 23-25 – 2nd Tracks Ski Swap
- Oct. 29-31 – Snowbasin Ski Swap at Legacy Events Center, Farmington
- April 8-9 Cotopaxi Questival at Thanksgiving Point
IN THE NEWS
- Home Solar Tours
- Wife, Mother Falls to Her Death in Corner Canyon
- Co-Founder of World Extreme Ski Championship Dies in Alaska
- Uinta Beer Introduces Wet ‘n Wyld Pale Ale
- Grand Teton National Park Moose-Wilson Road Temporarily Closed
- Grand Canyon National Park Pipeline Break
- Top 5 National Parks for Wildlife Lovers
- Nepal Hasn’t Spent $4 Billion in Relief Funds
- Scott Jurek Accepts Plea Deal
- Kayakers Complete First Circumnavigation of Svalbard Archipelago
- Canadian Entrepreneur Finds International Success with Artisanal Firewood
- Utahan Creates Low-Cost GoPro Alternative
- 6 Ways to Save on Your Backpacking Kit
- Splitboards 2016 Editors Choice
- Happier Camper Trailer
- Quicksilver Files for Chapter 11 Protection
- Roark Revival Partners Collaborates with Hex
- California’s New “Made in the U.S.A.” Law
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“Strong men greet war, tempest, hard times. They wish, as Pindar said, to tread the floors of hell, with necessities as hard as iron.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thank you to Slackwater Pizzeria for hosting today’s 210th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, & thebanyancollective.com, and our new app for Android & iPhones available from our About Page on thebanyancollective.com.
Share the Love - Tag your Grams & Tweets with #OgdenAdventure
As John Muir would say, “The Mountains are calling and we must go…”
Professional XTERRA athlete, Will Kelsey, joins us to chat about this weekend's 2018 XTERRA Pan Am Championship triathlon and XTERRA Trail Run National Championship, oh, and also touring the country in an old RV. Also, events, adventure news, Worth Reading, Outdoor Jukebox, and more! Enjoy!
OOA Show Ep. 315 features an interview with new Snowbasin GM Davy Ratchford along with mountain Communications Coordinator Megan Collins. Also, a throwback Weekly Happy, Events, Adventure News, something Worth Watching, Outdoor Jukebox, and more.
Fully loaded - Kase Johnstun, Ogden Pub Runners Founder kicks off the podcast followed by Ogden Bicycle Collective's Danielle Dawn and Ogden City Arts' Lorie Buckley and Derek Williamson chatting about the upcoming Bike Homecoming.
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.