Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 212 - Super Blood Moon
INTERVIEW - Leia Larsen, Standard Examiner Investigative Environmental Reporter
Standard Examiner investigative environmental reporter, Leia Larsen, loves the outdoors, and came back to Ogden after a stint in Boulder, Co. where she earned her Masters in Environmental Journalism. We chat inversions, impartiality, climbing, advocacy, cougar management, and grading the State of Utah.
Look for Leia's latest investigative series coming soon in the Standard uncovering the truth behind water level changes in The Great Salt Lake.
Follow Leia on Twitter for environmental story updates here: @LeiaLarsen
Read Leia's investigative environmental stories on the Standard Examiner.
ON THE DOCKET
- Weber County Outdoors Meetup
- Sept 26 – Friends of Kings Peak Trash Haul
- Sept 27 – Blood Moon Super Eclipse Paddle
- Sept 30 – Trail Running Film Fest Tour
- Oct 3 – Snowbasin Beer Fest
- Oct 4 – Snowbasin Pray For Snow Party!
- Oct. 9 – 12th Annual Gear Sale & Swap
- Oct 9-10 Creatures of the Night at Ogden Nature Center
- Oct. 10 – WSU Mt. Ogden Hike Tradition
- Oct. 10 – Party Cross (Cyclocross with Beer)
- Oct. 17 – Black Diamond Ski Swap / Sale
- Oct. 17 – Frary Peak Hill Climb
- Oct. 23-25 – 2nd Tracks Ski Swap
- Oct. 29-31 – Snowbasin Ski Swap at Legacy Events Center, Farmington
- Nov. 14 – Antelope Island 50K
- April 8-9 Cotopaxi Questival at Thanksgiving Point
IN THE NEWS
- Follow the Bear 100 Results
- Chad Weller Interview - Professional Ultrarunner, Coach, Vegan
- Patagonia Features Ogden on their Instagram
- Ogden City Arts Grants Applications Now Accepted
- H2o Overdrive Owner Gets 4 ½ years for Duping Investors
- Ogden Farmers Market Extends. New Closing Date is Oct. 10th
- Weber Pathways Community Feedback Survey
- New Outdoor Magazine from City Weekly
- Cutler Reservoir Drowning Prompts Safety Measures
- Giant Rock Closes SR-9 in Zion
- Ski Utah Partners with Protect our Winters
- Utah Skier Visits Dropped Nearly 5% Last Season
- 2015 Ski Movie Premiers
- AMGA Comes to Utah’s Petzl Technical Institute
- Climber Wins American Ninja Warrior
- North Tahoe Ale Trail
- Another Reason to Bring Bear Spray on your Backcountry Trail Runs
- Russian Powerlifter Summits Mount Elbrus with Barbell and Weights
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“If you’re not failing, you’re not trying anything.” – Woody Allen
Thank you to Slackwater for hosting today’s 212th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, & thebanyancollective.com, and the Podbean app for Android & iPhones available from our About Page on thebanyancollective.com.
Share the Love - Tag your Grams & Tweets with #OgdenAdventure
Professional XTERRA athlete, Will Kelsey, joins us to chat about this weekend's 2018 XTERRA Pan Am Championship triathlon and XTERRA Trail Run National Championship, oh, and also touring the country in an old RV. Also, events, adventure news, Worth Reading, Outdoor Jukebox, and more! Enjoy!
OOA Show Ep. 315 features an interview with new Snowbasin GM Davy Ratchford along with mountain Communications Coordinator Megan Collins. Also, a throwback Weekly Happy, Events, Adventure News, something Worth Watching, Outdoor Jukebox, and more.
Fully loaded - Kase Johnstun, Ogden Pub Runners Founder kicks off the podcast followed by Ogden Bicycle Collective's Danielle Dawn and Ogden City Arts' Lorie Buckley and Derek Williamson chatting about the upcoming Bike Homecoming.
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.