Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 264 - Buried
Todd held tight to his Sundance streak and has now attended the Film Festival for 20 straight years. I drove #TanVan to Park City and rolled like a VanLife gangster down Main Street to pick up Todd and head out to a snowshoe. We chose Round Valley because of its easy access and easy to moderate terrain as Todd is still suffering from a wicked cold, and he may of also had a late movie night and a few adult beverages.
Meanwhile Ogden is buried in snow. We chat about that, and, some really great upcoming local charitable events benefiting the outdoors, adventure news, a My Lands segment dispelling clean air myths, a Quote of the Week, Outdoor Jukebox and our Round Valley Trip Report.
Oh, and we found a tire swing, so, of course we had to try it in our snowshoes.
AVALANCHE CONDITIONS: Considerable - https://utahavalanchecenter.org/
ON THE DOCKET
- Powder Mountain Ladies Night powered by SheShreds.co $15
- Jan 27-29 - Weber Outdoor Program AIARE 1 Course
- Jan 27 - Lady Wild Film Fest, Ogden High School - 5:30-9pm
- Feb 3-5;17-19 - Exum Mountain Guides Ski Mountaineering Clinics, Tetons
- Feb 3 - Yeti Bash Community Bike Ride, 5-6pm
- Feb 3 - First Friday Art Stroll - Van Sessions at Union Station, Erica Lyon at The Front
- Feb 4 - Sweaty Yeti Fat Bike Race, Wolf Creek Resort
- Feb 4 - Weber Outdoor Program Winter Trail Series: Indian Trail
- Feb 10 - AIARE 1 Course with Bear House Mountain Guiding - Sold Out
- Feb 11 - Utah Whitewater Club Wave Pool Night at Layton Surf n’ Swim
- Feb 15-19 - Michigan Ice Fest - Hosting Jeff Lowe, Will Gadd, Conrad Anker
- Feb 24 - Weber Pathways Presents an Evening with Dan Flores (Author Dinner, Fundraiser)
- Feb 25 - Ogden Bike Collective Winter Bike Benefit, 6pm
- March 4 - World Telemark Day
- March 10 - International Fly Fishing Film Festival at Peery’s. Ogden River Preservation Benefit
- March 11 - Spring Stampede at Powder Mountain - Free boarder/skier cross race
- March 18 - Wasatch Showdown - Annual Firefighters Fundraiser at Powder Mountain
- March 18 - Weber Outdoor Program Winter Trail Series: Ben Lomond Shoulder
- March 21-26 - Salomon Ultra Running Academy - running, training, workshops, Moab
IN THE NEWS
- DWR to Begin Emergency Deer Feeding in Ogden / Ogden Valley
- Snowpacked Ogden Valley Digs Out
- Utah Backcountry Skier Accidentally Drops Off 150 Foot Cliff
- Actor Tim Daly Broke Both Legs at Sundance Resort
- Climate Web Pages May Remain
WORTH WATCHING / VIEWING
A video posted by Jerm (@bill_skatespeare) on
TRIP REPORT - Round Valley Snowshoe, Park City - Podcast Only
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting.” - Shakespeare
Thank you to GOAL ZERO for powering today’s 264th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, thebanyancollective.com, and on the Podbean App for Android & iPhones.
As John Muir would say, “The Mountains are calling and we must go…”
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.
Busting onto the Ogden scene, Giants in the Oak Tree, crushed their 4-song Van Sessions set. Busting out the doors with the drums, this episode sounds amazing for shoving a full band in a tight space. This one is a must listen!
From rocking a piano bar to playing 88 keys in a van down by the railroad tracks, Kendrick Zane along with guitarist Tom Hopkins performed 4 original songs in this Billy Joel inspired set.
Nicholas Garn otherwise known as The Reverend & The Revelry performed an amazing 4-song set for #VanSessions.
#VanSessions Season 4 featuring a 4-song set with the sultry sweet soul of Cherry Thomas.
Teresita Dovalpage, writing about food and murder and what it's like to wrap them together in Cuba, made us laugh and opened up on the LITerally Podcast about being a writer.
Ryan Sharp, a poet and a hell of a good guy, read some old and new poetry for us at LITerally.