Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 294 - DQ'd
WEEKLY HAPPY | Winter Olympics Instructional Videos
ON THE DOCKET
- 1.10 Powder Mountain Pop-Up Dinners, Wednesdays, Bower Lodge 6-8pm
- 1.13 Mechanics Class: Disc Brakes 101, Ogden Bicycle Collective, 3-4pm
- 1.13 Bike Mechanics Class, Skyline Cycle, 9-10am
- 1.13 Layton Wave Pool Session, Utah Whitewater Club, Surf ’N Swim, 7pm
- 1.13-15 AIARE 1 Course, Weber Outdoor Program
- 1.16 Dining Discovery: Joys of Beer Wings
- 1.17 Aspen Extreme at Breweries, 7pm
- 1.18 Dining Discovery: Taste of Snowbasin
- 1.19-21 AIARE 1 Course, Bear House Mountain Guiding, Cottonwoods
- 1.20 Weber Pathways Winter Trails Day
- 1.21 Intro to Ice Climbing, Bear House Mountain Guiding
- 1.25-26 ECAC 16th Black & White Competition Intake, Call for Entry
- 1.26 Lady Wild Film Festival, 8 Films, 6:30
- 1.27 OWA Intro to Backcountry Skiing, Cottonwoods
- 1.27 Winter Carnival, Snowbasin
- 1.27 6th Annual Indie Ogden Awards
- 1.30 Adventuring in the Alps, GEAR:30 7pm
- 2.2 Yeti Beard & Moustache Competition, Union Station, 6:30pm
- 2.3 Sweaty Yeti Fat Bike Race, Wolf Creek Resort
- 2.3 SheShreds.co Jamboree #1 at Powder Mountain, Ladies Ski/Board Comp
- 2.3 Intro to Backcountry Skiing, Bear House Mountain Guiding
- 2.15-19 Vertical Integration Ogden, Utah Backcountry Getaway, $795
- 2.23 IF4 - International Fly Fishing Film Festival, Peery’s Egyptian Theater
- 2.24 Salomon Snowcross Relays, Ogden Nordic
- 2.16-18 Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour - Peery’s Egyptian Theater
- 3.10 2nd Annual Turn N’ Burn Banked Slalom at Powder Mountain, 9-6pm
- 4.2-8 Wasatch Mountain Film Festival
IN THE NEWS
- Ultra Runner Kelly Agnew Disqualified From ATY 24 Hour Race
- Toll roads proposed for Little and Big Cottonwood canyons
- British man freezes to death at French ski resort
- BUFF founder Joan Rojas passes away
- Starbucks in Yosemite?
WORTH WATCHING | TSIRKU - Director’s Cut
- New Yeti Folding Chair
- Salomon Snowboards
TRIP REPORT | Ogden Boulder Field - So, we forgot to follow up in the podcast on our quick trip up to the boulder field last night. Here's the written version: Below is a pick of Chase on the Tooth. Really, Chase is testing the stretchy-ness factor of Boulder Denim jeans for an upcoming blog so the actual bouldering wasn't much. But, we did walk through the boulder field and get on a rock for a few. Temps at 4:45pm were perfect. The trail is a mix between mud and ice, so use caution on the approach. All lower boulder field rocks are accessible with no snow build-up and little mud. Boulder on!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“To expect too much is to have a sentimental view of life, and this is a softness that ends in bitterness.” - Flannery O’Connor
Thank you to GEAR:30 for powering today’s 294th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, Stitcher, thebanyancollective.com, and on the Podbean App for Android & iPhones.
OUTDOOR JUKEBOX | Sifting through hours of crappy music, so you don’t have to.
“Down By The River” - WYO
As John Muir would say, “The Mountains are calling and we must go…”
Weekly Happy, #OnTheDocket, Adventure News, Worth Listening, GEAR:30, My Lands, Quote of the Week, Outdoor Jukebox and more. Enjoy!
With Derek Debruin, Bear House Mountain Guiding. Also, Adventure News, Event, Worth Watching, GEAR:30 Segment, My Lands and more!
Interview with Kory Davis of Ogden Avalanche about tonight’s Utah Avalanche Center Fundraising Event, Backcountry Bash! The Front Climbing Club hosts the event and includes local beer, pizza, and a silent auction. Also, Adventure News, Events, something Worth Watching, Quote of the Week, and Outdoor Jukebox.
Professional XTERRA athlete, Will Kelsey, joins us to chat about this weekend's 2018 XTERRA Pan Am Championship triathlon and XTERRA Trail Run National Championship, oh, and also touring the country in an old RV. Also, events, adventure news, Worth Reading, Outdoor Jukebox, and more! Enjoy!
OOA Show Ep. 315 features an interview with new Snowbasin GM Davy Ratchford along with mountain Communications Coordinator Megan Collins. Also, a throwback Weekly Happy, Events, Adventure News, something Worth Watching, Outdoor Jukebox, and more.
Fully loaded - Kase Johnstun, Ogden Pub Runners Founder kicks off the podcast followed by Ogden Bicycle Collective's Danielle Dawn and Ogden City Arts' Lorie Buckley and Derek Williamson chatting about the upcoming Bike Homecoming.
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.