Continuing our Trailhead Series, we headed out to one of Utah's most spectacular natural resources, Antelope Island. So close, but feeling so far away with a variety of wildlife, panoramic views, and over 50 miles of trails, Antelope Island is a non-hidden, but underutilized gem.
Utah Department of Natural Resources representative and Naturalist for the Island, Wendy Wilson, hiked with us on an unmapped buffalo trail to a scenic overlook. The North end of the island is open to public exploration, and visitors can basically hike anywhere they like. Once on the South end of the Island however, maintaining proper trail manners is expected.
Wendy provided interesting Island history, a wildlife run-down, as well as information on upcoming events, and camping. Wendy also cleared the air on the Island's funky smell, or lack thereof. Finally, Wendy explained the benefits of the Great Salt Lake to the recreational community, commerce, bird migration, and air quality.
The Great Salt Lake is near its all time low. Why should you care? Environmental reporter for the Standard Examiner, Leia Larsen explains: http://www.standard.net/Environment/2015/10/11/We-re-losing-the-Great-Salt-Lake-Here-s-why-you-should-care.html
ON THE DOCKET
- Weber County Outdoors Meetup
- Oct. 14 – Outdoor Women’s Alliance (OWA) Night at The Front!
- Oct. 15 – 2nd Annual Ogden Spoketacular Halloween Ride (FREE)
- Oct. 17 – Transworld Snowboarding ORIGINS Ogden Premier at Copper Nickel 2450 Grant, Presented by Lucky Slice & Powder Mountain. 6pm. FREE.
- Oct. 17 – Black Diamond Ski Swap / Sale
- Oct. 17 – Biketoberfest Block Party, 300 S 200 W SLC – Beer, Food, Music, Art, Auction, Bike Olympics (Obstacle Course, Team Relays, hoop Toss, Polo, etc.
- Oct. 17 – Ogden City Dog Park Volunteer Day 9am – Until Done
- Oct. 17 – Frary Peak Hill Climb
- Oct. 22-25 – Wilderness First Aid Course $325 – Utah Wilderness Safety
- Oct. 23-25 – 2nd Tracks Ski Swap
- Oct. 23 – Self Rescue Clinic – The Front Ogden 7-9pm $30
- Oct. 24 – Ogden Zombie Crawl
- Oct. 27 – FULL MOON SUP + Costumes + Floating Jack-o-lanterns
- Oct. 27,28,29 – Warren Miller’s Chasing Shadows 7:30pm, Peery’s Egyptian Theater
- Oct. 28 – Reel Rock 10 Film Tour – Jim Santy Auditorium, Park City. $17
- Oct. 29-31 – Snowbasin Ski Swap at Legacy Events Center, Farmington
- Oct. 31 – Utah Snow and Avalanche Workshop 1-5pm, South Towne Expo
- Nov. 13 – Crown Royal Whiskey Dinner 6-9pm – Earl’s Lodge, Snowbasin
- Nov. 13 – 6th Annual Nearly Naked Mile (Friday the 13th) Clothes Donated to St. Anne’s Homeless Shelter in Ogden
- Nov. 3 – Top Rope Basics – The Front Ogden 7- 9pm.
- Nov. 14 – Antelope Island 50K
- Nov. 27 – Intro to Anchor Building Clininc – The Front Ogden 7-9pm
IN THE NEWS
- Ogden Canyon Traffic Delays
- North Ogden Native Gets Naked and Afraid
- Utah Parks Attract Record Numbers
- Former St. George Man Dies Hiking
- Brighton Resort Pre-Season Bone Zone
- Green River Otter Release
- Rudy Runs Ironman
- JanSport Co-Founder Skip Yowell Dies
- Bear Loose in Bozeman High School – Thanks Austin Cronnelly!
- 15 VW Bus Campers to Take a Road Trip In
- 5 Best Mountaineering Movies Now on Netflix