Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 215 - Antelope Island
Continuing our Trailhead Series, we headed out to one of Utah's most spectacular natural resources, Antelope Island. So close, but feeling so far away with a variety of wildlife, panoramic views, and over 50 miles of trails, Antelope Island is a non-hidden, but underutilized gem.
Utah Department of Natural Resources representative and Naturalist for the Island, Wendy Wilson, hiked with us on an unmapped buffalo trail to a scenic overlook. The North end of the island is open to public exploration, and visitors can basically hike anywhere they like. Once on the South end of the Island however, maintaining proper trail manners is expected.
Wendy provided interesting Island history, a wildlife run-down, as well as information on upcoming events, and camping. Wendy also cleared the air on the Island's funky smell, or lack thereof. Finally, Wendy explained the benefits of the Great Salt Lake to the recreational community, commerce, bird migration, and air quality.
The Great Salt Lake is near its all time low. Why should you care? Environmental reporter for the Standard Examiner, Leia Larsen explains: http://www.standard.net/Environment/2015/10/11/We-re-losing-the-Great-Salt-Lake-Here-s-why-you-should-care.html
ON THE DOCKET
- Weber County Outdoors Meetup
- Oct. 14 – Outdoor Women’s Alliance (OWA) Night at The Front!
- Oct. 15 – 2nd Annual Ogden Spoketacular Halloween Ride (FREE)
- Oct. 17 – Transworld Snowboarding ORIGINS Ogden Premier at Copper Nickel 2450 Grant, Presented by Lucky Slice & Powder Mountain. 6pm. FREE.
- Oct. 17 – Black Diamond Ski Swap / Sale
- Oct. 17 – Biketoberfest Block Party, 300 S 200 W SLC – Beer, Food, Music, Art, Auction, Bike Olympics (Obstacle Course, Team Relays, hoop Toss, Polo, etc.
- Oct. 17 – Ogden City Dog Park Volunteer Day 9am – Until Done
- Oct. 17 – Frary Peak Hill Climb
- Oct. 22-25 – Wilderness First Aid Course $325 – Utah Wilderness Safety
- Oct. 23-25 – 2nd Tracks Ski Swap
- Oct. 23 – Self Rescue Clinic – The Front Ogden 7-9pm $30
- Oct. 24 – Ogden Zombie Crawl
- Oct. 27 – FULL MOON SUP + Costumes + Floating Jack-o-lanterns
- Oct. 27,28,29 – Warren Miller’s Chasing Shadows 7:30pm, Peery’s Egyptian Theater
- Oct. 28 – Reel Rock 10 Film Tour – Jim Santy Auditorium, Park City. $17
- Oct. 29-31 – Snowbasin Ski Swap at Legacy Events Center, Farmington
- Oct. 31 – Utah Snow and Avalanche Workshop 1-5pm, South Towne Expo
- Nov. 13 – Crown Royal Whiskey Dinner 6-9pm – Earl’s Lodge, Snowbasin
- Nov. 13 – 6th Annual Nearly Naked Mile (Friday the 13th) Clothes Donated to St. Anne’s Homeless Shelter in Ogden
- Nov. 3 – Top Rope Basics – The Front Ogden 7- 9pm.
- Nov. 14 – Antelope Island 50K
- Nov. 27 – Intro to Anchor Building Clininc – The Front Ogden 7-9pm
IN THE NEWS
- Ogden Canyon Traffic Delays
- North Ogden Native Gets Naked and Afraid
- Utah Parks Attract Record Numbers
- Former St. George Man Dies Hiking
- Brighton Resort Pre-Season Bone Zone
- Green River Otter Release
- Rudy Runs Ironman
- JanSport Co-Founder Skip Yowell Dies
- Bear Loose in Bozeman High School – Thanks Austin Cronnelly!
- 15 VW Bus Campers to Take a Road Trip In
- 5 Best Mountaineering Movies Now on Netflix
With Derek Debruin, Bear House Mountain Guiding. Also, Adventure News, Event, Worth Watching, GEAR:30 Segment, My Lands and more!
Interview with Kory Davis of Ogden Avalanche about tonight’s Utah Avalanche Center Fundraising Event, Backcountry Bash! The Front Climbing Club hosts the event and includes local beer, pizza, and a silent auction. Also, Adventure News, Events, something Worth Watching, Quote of the Week, and Outdoor Jukebox.
Professional XTERRA athlete, Will Kelsey, joins us to chat about this weekend's 2018 XTERRA Pan Am Championship triathlon and XTERRA Trail Run National Championship, oh, and also touring the country in an old RV. Also, events, adventure news, Worth Reading, Outdoor Jukebox, and more! Enjoy!
OOA Show Ep. 315 features an interview with new Snowbasin GM Davy Ratchford along with mountain Communications Coordinator Megan Collins. Also, a throwback Weekly Happy, Events, Adventure News, something Worth Watching, Outdoor Jukebox, and more.
Fully loaded - Kase Johnstun, Ogden Pub Runners Founder kicks off the podcast followed by Ogden Bicycle Collective's Danielle Dawn and Ogden City Arts' Lorie Buckley and Derek Williamson chatting about the upcoming Bike Homecoming.
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.