Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 231 - Meadows Snowshoe
TanVan broke down on our way to hike Wheeler's Canyon and Icebox this week so we can't give an update on those particular trail conditions. We can tell you the Ogden River is flowing nicely and it's not the worst place to spend an afternoon - in a van, down by the river.
We're a week behind on posting this episode, so it's probably good the Van granted us a week off to catch up. Directly after last week's show, we recorded #VanSessions - check the front cover of the Ogden Source.
On Saturday and Sunday I emcee'd the Voile Wasatch Powder Keg at Brighton. Sunday's race was cancelled however after multiple course reroutes because of white-out conditions and high winds. Winter returned that early morning forcing racers in onesies with featherlight skis, harnesses, ascenders, and a mandatory four-layers to wait until next year to best their tandem ski-mountaineering PR's. Overall, Powder Keg is a rad event, and the organizers are top notch. Racer's from ages 9-57 competed. If you're touring on fat planks, the Heavy Metal division is for you. Consider entering next year's race, you'll be glad you did.
ON THE DOCKET
March 11 – Weber Pathways Presents an evening with Craig Johnson, author of the Longmire mystery series. $100
- March 12 – Striders Winter Race Circuit 10 Miler
- March 12 - Snowbasin DEMO DAY to benefit ADAPT, Ogden Valley Adaptive Sports
- March 12 – Mountain Goat Watch at Rock Creek
- March 16 – Ogden Pub Runners Season Opener, 6:30pm Lighthouse Lounge
- March 16 – An Evening with Black Diamond Athletes - Daila Ojeda, Daniel Jung, Babsi Zangerl, Joe Kinder and many more.
- March 17 - Snowbasin St. Patrick's Day Party!
- March 18 – Ogden Bike Collective Group Ride – Celebrating Love, Give Utah
- March 19-20 - Snowbasin Tap Takeover Fest!
- March 20 – Antelope Island Buffalo Run
- March 20 - #MindfulMarch Yoga Fundraiser – Love Your Brain Foundation
- March 23 - Snowbasin Full Moon Aprés Ski
- March 24 – 7th Annual Intermountain Sustainability Summit
- March 31 – Wasatch Mountain Film Festival
- March 31 – Breakfast with GOAL – Love Utah Give Utah
- April 2 – Striders Winter Race Circuit ½ Marathon
- April 8-9 Cotopaxi Questival at Thanksgiving Point
- April 23 – Striders Winter Race Circuit 30K
- May 21 – Ogden Marathon
- July 30 – Morgan Valley Marathon
IN THE NEWS
- Local Cyclist Competed in Fat Bike Championships Despite Heart Condition
- Will the Great Salt Lake Soon Dry to Dust?
- Lake Powell Quagga Mussel Infestation
- Amer Sports Factory Outlet is Hiring
- Utah’s Snowpack is Below Average
- Wasatch View Tiny Home Tour
- Outside Magazine Publishes Simon Beck Powder Mountain Article
- Ski Utah Social Hub
- First Winter Ascent of Nanga Parbat
- World’s Hardest Dry Tooling Route Repeated
- Internet Service Coming to Every National Park
- 8 Best Outdoorsy Podcasts
- Yosemite Names Contract Dispute Ends
- Meet Mountaineering filmmaker and “natural rebellious spirit” Taylor Freesolo Rees
- “The National Parks Coast to Coast: 100 Best Hikes”
- Are Outdoorsy People Better Than Indoorsy People
- Polarmond All-In-One Sleep System
- Bundle Beds – Sleep Anywhere
- Sky Nest Hammock Tent
TRIP REPORT – Snowbasin Meadow's Snowshoe
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“Your wealth is where your friends are.” - Plautus
Thank you to GOAL ZERO and the Yeti 400 for powering today’s 231st episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, & thebanyancollective.com, and our new app for Android & iPhones available from our About Page on thebanyancollective.com.
As John Muir would say, “The Mountains are calling and we must go…”
Weekly Happy, #OnTheDocket, Adventure News, Worth Listening, GEAR:30, My Lands, Quote of the Week, Outdoor Jukebox and more. Enjoy!
With Derek Debruin, Bear House Mountain Guiding. Also, Adventure News, Event, Worth Watching, GEAR:30 Segment, My Lands and more!
Interview with Kory Davis of Ogden Avalanche about tonight’s Utah Avalanche Center Fundraising Event, Backcountry Bash! The Front Climbing Club hosts the event and includes local beer, pizza, and a silent auction. Also, Adventure News, Events, something Worth Watching, Quote of the Week, and Outdoor Jukebox.
Professional XTERRA athlete, Will Kelsey, joins us to chat about this weekend's 2018 XTERRA Pan Am Championship triathlon and XTERRA Trail Run National Championship, oh, and also touring the country in an old RV. Also, events, adventure news, Worth Reading, Outdoor Jukebox, and more! Enjoy!
OOA Show Ep. 315 features an interview with new Snowbasin GM Davy Ratchford along with mountain Communications Coordinator Megan Collins. Also, a throwback Weekly Happy, Events, Adventure News, something Worth Watching, Outdoor Jukebox, and more.
Fully loaded - Kase Johnstun, Ogden Pub Runners Founder kicks off the podcast followed by Ogden Bicycle Collective's Danielle Dawn and Ogden City Arts' Lorie Buckley and Derek Williamson chatting about the upcoming Bike Homecoming.
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.