Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 311 - The Vansion (Take 2)
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks. Also, #OnTheDocket featuring upcoming adventure events, news, a GEAR:30 segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more. We even harken back to draggin the 'vard. Maybe we'll start our own van-drag thing. Or, something. Enjoy Ep. 311 - The Vansion (Take 2).
TRAILS REPORT | webertrails.org
INTERVIEW | Jake Nelson - Van Life’r, Custom Van Maker, Photographer
ON THE DOCKET
- Mountain Bike Dawn Patrol, Wednesday’s - Weber Outdoor Program
- Blues, Brews & BBQ, Sundays at Snowbasin
- Tube the Ogden, Friday’s & Saturday’s Pioneer Stadium to Crystal Wave
- 7.12 Trail Trials presented by Salomon - Powder Mountain, 6:30pm $25-$75
- 7.13 Pre-Speedgoat 50K Party w/Karl Meltzer - Wasatch Running Center, 3:30-6:30
- 7.14 Park City Trail Series 10K - Park City, 8am
- 7.16 Movies on the Mountain Featuring Goonies - Snowbasin, 4:30-10:30pm
- 7.20-22 Snake River Rafting Trip - Weber Outdoor Program
- 7.19 Paper Airplane MTB Series presented by ENVE - Powder Mountain, 6-9pm
- 7.19-23 Payette Rivers with Utah Whitewater Club - Hot Springs Campground
- 7.21 2018 Yellowstone Beer Fest
- 7.21 Speedgoat 50K
- 7.24 Ogden Trail Dig with The Front - 22nd Street Trailhead, 6-8pm
- 7.27 25th Anniversary Antelope By Moonlight Bike Ride - 10pm
- 7.28 River SUP for Beginners Clinic - Provo River, 9am-3pm
- 7.31 SUP Demo with the WSU Outdoor Program & GEAR:30, Causey Reservoir, 4pm
- 8.2 Paper Airplane MTB Series presented by ENVE - Powder Mountain, 6-9pm
- 8.4 Summer Waterfall Series - Adams Canyon - Weber Outdoor Program
- 8.9 YIKES Yoga and Bikes, Maples Trailhead
- 8.11 Park City Trail Series 15K - Park City, 8am
- 8.14 SUP Demo with the WSU Outdoor Program & GEAR:30, Causey Reservoir, 4pm
- 8.16 Paper Airplane MTB Series presented by ENVE - Powder Mountain, 6-9pm
- 8.18 El Doce MTB Race at Powder Mountain
- 8.18 5th Annual Snowbird Oktoberfest Beard And Moustache Competition
- 8.24-26 Salt Lake Climbing Festival
- 8.25 Strankenstein’s Zombie Prom - Ogden’s Union Station, 7-11pm
- 8.30 Paper Airplane MTB Series presented by ENVE - Powder Mountain, 6-9pm
- 9.14-15 2018 Ogden Yoga Fest
- 9.13 25th Annual Utah Avalanche Center Fundraising Party
- 9.15 Park City Trail Series 1/2 Marathon - Park City, 8am
IN THE NEWS
- Ortovox Avalanche Transceiver Recall
- Local admired teacher dies in SUP accident at Willard Bay
- Diesel Brother’s owner drives Freedom Bus to Freemont Island
- 3 Travel Bloggers killed after falling off waterfall
- Utah Olympic Park has giant airbag for Summer Slopestyle training
- Reward increased to help find whoever shot 2 mountain goats in Colorado
- That’s a LOT of poop - 71,000 pounds of waste removed from Everest
WORTH LISTENING | Basecamp: A Climbing Magazine Podcast
GEAR:30 | Visit gearthirty.com, and use Promo Code, “OOA” at checkout and save 10% on your purchase.
- Best piece of gear in #thevansion?
- Helinox separates from Big Agnes
QUOTE OF THE WEEK | “The chance to do it over again is called now.” ― J.R. Rim
Thank you to GEAR:30 for powering today’s 311th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, Spotify, thebanyancollective.com, and on the Podbean App for Android & iPhones.
OUTDOOR JUKEBOX | Giants in the Oak Tree LIVE on #VanSessions
As John Muir would say, “The Mountains are calling and we must go…”
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.