Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 219 - Art & Adventure
INTERVIEW – LA based artist, Kiel Johnson
LA based Weber State University visiting artist, Kiel Johnson erected a community based life-sized prairie schooner with help from over a hundred students, and passer-by's. He tells us why, along with where he finds inspiration for projects, traveling the world with TEDActive, and how he has children in universities all around the world.
We also reminisce about Utah Tourism's 2009 ad campaign. You may remember these photos:
ON THE DOCKET
- Weber County Outdoors Meetup
- Nov. 20 – Conquering the Useless Film at Alleged
- Nov. 21 – 1st Annual Ogden Nordic Burning Man/Bonfire
- Nov. 21 – Utah Whitewater Club - Layton Wave Pool Session
- Nov. 26 – ThanksGIVing Yoga – Proceeds go to Youth Futures
- Nov. 27 – Intro to Anchor Building Clinic – The Front Ogden 7-9pm
- Nov. 28 – Christmas Village Opening
- Nov. 28 – Ogden Santa Run
- Nov. 30 – The Front Pro Shop Holiday Sale
- Dec. 5 – Ogden Nature Center Holiday Open House
- Dec. 5 – Global Fat Bike Day Ogden
- Dec. 12 – 2015 Elk Festival at Hardware Ranch
- April 8-9 Cotopaxi Questival at Thanksgiving Point
IN THE NEWS
- Last Day to Purchase an Epic Local Pass is Nov. 22nd
- Weber River Could See $41 Million in Restoration Grants
- Italian Bike Manufacturer Selle Royal Coming to Ogden
- What Anglers Need to Know Regarding Utah’s Public Waters
- Utah Artist Recreates National Park Landscapes with Tape
- Crowdsourced Avalanche App
- Yellowstone National Park Proposes Killing 1,000 Bison
- KSL.com Highlight’s Utah’s Outdoors in Pics and Video
- Jeff Lowe Named Colorado’s Third Most Influential Climber
- Ueli Steck Reclaims Eiger Speed Record
- 22 Diagrams For Camping
- 10 Instagram Photos Proving Pro Surfers Have the Best Job
- Bison is the New Wool
Know Before You Go - Avalanche Awareness
Avalanches kill an average of 39 people each year in North America. Hundreds more are injured. That is why we created THIS video. Please watch and share with your friends before you head out in the backcountry this winter.Thanks to everyone who contributed: Travis Rice, Jeremy Jones, Jimmy Chin, Chris Davenport, BRAIN FARM, Sherpas Cinema, Red Bull Media House Films, Teton Gravity Research, Backcountry Access, Inc., Black Diamond, The North Face, Arc'teryx, Zeal Optics, Alex Do, Mikaela Shiffrin, Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper, Brett Turcotte Athlete, Mitch Cheek, SOLOS Productions, Matt Morgon, Amy Engerbretson, Brian Lazar, Dave Richards, Brody Leven, Randy Sugihara, Jonny Collinson, Kim Long, Lel Tone, Grant Helgenson, Alpine Assassins, Boondocks, Mike Friedman, Noah Howell, MSR - Mountain Safety Research, Parks Canada, Utah Avalanche Center, Colorado Avalanche Information Center, Avalanche Canada, American Avalanche Association, American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education and National Avalanche Center. Friends of CAICPosted by Know Before You Go on Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Worth Reading: Snowbasin Blog – 75th Anniversary History Series
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thank you to Weber State University for hosting today’s 219th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, & thebanyancollective.com, and our new app for Android & iPhones available from our About Page on thebanyancollective.com.
!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU YOUNG SUBARU !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.