Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show 225 - #VanSessions
Escape Design FX owner and Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge poster signer, Russ Adams, stepped into the TanVan to help explain this whole #VanSessions thing. As part of the Ogden City Arts sub-committee that helped with conceptualization of podcasting musicians from a late '80s Dodge Camper Van, Russ had to experience the Van in person. We chatted about his love of special effects, his thorough Historic 25th Street tour guide skills, and his grouchy grandpa inspired new project.
ON THE DOCKET
- Weber County Outdoors Meetup
- Jan. 13 – Powder Mountain Ladies Nightw/SheShreds.Co Every Wed Jan 13 – Feb 24th $15 for Ladies from 3-9pm
- Jan. 22 – USASA Big Mountain West Snowboard & Freeski Series at Snowbasin
- Jan. 23 – Burton Qualifiers at Powder Mountain – Hidden Lake Halfpipe
- Jan. 23 – ASDT Full Moon Snowshoe Meet Up with WSU Outdoor Program 4:30pm at Snowbasin’s Overflow Parking Lot
- Jan. 23 – Ogden Nordic Moonlight Glide
- Jan. 30 – Snowbasin 75th Birthday Party!
- Feb. 3-6 – U.S. Snowboarding & Freeski Grand Prix at Park City
- Feb. 5,6 – The Bettie Sessions at Powder Mountain – Ladies Intro to Backcountry Clinic
- Feb. 5,6 – Endurance Sports Show – South Towne Exposition Center
- Feb. 20 – Winter Bike Benefit – The Ogden Bike Collective at Mt. Ogden Golf Course – Fat Bike Demos. $5 Entry, Raffle Ticket, Beverage
- Feb. 27 – USA Cycling National Fat Bike Championships at Powder Mountain
- March 5 – X-Trifecta Triathlon at Hidden Lake, Powder Mountain – Shred, Ped, Tread
- April 8-9 Cotopaxi Questival at Thanksgiving Point
IN THE NEWS
- Powder Mountain Ski Patroller Survives Avalanche
- Snowfall Impeding Local Trail Access
- Wildlife Rehabilitation Center Asking for Funds to Help Treat Bald Eagle
- New Guide for Jumpoff Canyon Climbing Posted in FB Ogden Climbing Community – by Derek DeBruin
- Skier Pushes Snowboarder off Chairlift
- Help for Andy Lewis
- Why You Shouldn’t Eat Snow
- New Winter 24 Hour Backcountry Race – In Vermont
- 5 Camp Coffees That Taste Good Around the Fire
WORTH READING: Utah Public Lands Proposal Unveiled
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“Self-image sets the boundaries of individual accomplishment.” – Maxwell Maltz
Thank you to Union Station for hosting today’s 225th Episode of the Ogden Outdoor Adventure Show! Look for us on Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, & thebanyancollective.com, and our new app for Android & iPhones available from our About Page on thebanyancollective.com.
Share the Love - Tag your Grams & Tweets with #OgdenAdventure
As John Muir would say, "The mountains are calling and we must go..."
Professional XTERRA athlete, Will Kelsey, joins us to chat about this weekend's 2018 XTERRA Pan Am Championship triathlon and XTERRA Trail Run National Championship, oh, and also touring the country in an old RV. Also, events, adventure news, Worth Reading, Outdoor Jukebox, and more! Enjoy!
OOA Show Ep. 315 features an interview with new Snowbasin GM Davy Ratchford along with mountain Communications Coordinator Megan Collins. Also, a throwback Weekly Happy, Events, Adventure News, something Worth Watching, Outdoor Jukebox, and more.
Fully loaded - Kase Johnstun, Ogden Pub Runners Founder kicks off the podcast followed by Ogden Bicycle Collective's Danielle Dawn and Ogden City Arts' Lorie Buckley and Derek Williamson chatting about the upcoming Bike Homecoming.
So what do you do in August? Well, you drink beer, play bird trivia, and get to know the Snarlin' Yarns. Brandi Bosworth with the Ogden Nature Center sat down with us this week to provide insight into the 3rd Annual Birds & Brews happening August 24th.
Ahhh, it's that time of year again, Summer OR, the greatest party in the outdoor industry. I mean, the highbrow gathering of outdoor industry professionals clinking Stanley shot glasses of fine whiskey lemonade over conversations of comparitive cuben fiber products, recent epics, and athlete sightings. It's a fast and frazzling 4 days of wicked awesome gear, friends, and beer. All the beer. And, yes, sometimes whiskey. But, mostly beer.
It took us 2 weeks to get this one right, but then we nailed it! From down by the Ogden River to the top of Powder Mountain, we spent time with full-time van-lifer, Jake Nelson, in The Vansion, discussing the realities of van life, how to build out your own van, and van hacks.
OOA Ep. 310 includes special guests Greg Scothern and Rod Kramer from Weber Pathways. We chat TrailFest 2018 presented by Bank of Utah, along with upcoming community events, adventure news, a new #worthlistening segment, Outdoor Jukebox and more!
Ogden Tedx is Friday, June 29th. We spoke with duo presenters, Rebecca Virgo & Tabatha Butler about their subject: Serendipity in Collaboration.
SUP'ing Pineview and podcasting in an RV down by the... well, my house. OK, it's parked next to my house. Initially we nicknamed the RV "Studio B," but we just renamed her to "Studio RV." It's kind-of a nice place to podcast, actually. Plenty of room. Anywho, we chat Adventure news, events, pop-culture, gear-of-the-week, outdoor jukebox, and more.
We chat with Kasey about Friday Night Lights as one of the best television shows of all time, review Solo, Kasey's Coming of Age preferences, and of course, this year's Ogden Film Festival.
Facebook LIVE fail, Beus trail report, Solo Guiding's the new thing, Everest Season, and a Dinosaur as a comfort animal.
Exclusive interview with Mountain Gravity Expo producer, Jordan Lovejoy.
Hanging out with PCT thru-hiker, Bryden Bowley.
Don’t buy a cheap kayak, drunk ski over a crowd, or climb/ski 61,170 vertical feet in 24 hours because that’s just crazy.
Resort closing dates, climb time, mow electric, Winter advisory, Kavu love, Cotopaxi, and Pennywise.
Weber State University's Outdoor & Community Recreation Program is hosting RecConnect, a hybrid outdoor innovation expo and networking opportunity.
PS, we're 8 years and 300 episodes in. We were just pups when we began at Weber State’s KWCR 88.1 as a specialty show.
For International Women’s Day, we chat with GEAR:30 Manager, Sara Austin.
Featuring yak bells, deep pow, coal rolling, and PBR pancakes. Plus, a 100-year-old skier who is more boss than all of us.
Interview with The Front Climbing Club’s Joey Langford and the upcoming Cosmic Boulder Bash, plus 4-year-old mini-shredders, the Frozen Road, and Go Solo.
Hiking Indian Trail, interview with photographer Cam Mcleod, Mastering the Art of Chill, and that’s just how your face looks sometimes.
Olympics instructional videos, a friend’s fall from Ultra Running grace, TSIRKU, and the Ogden Boulder Field in January.
Snowshoeing Green Pond, Aspen Extreme, Ski the Wild West, and Ibex up for auction.